Warm-Up Routines to Focus
All good athletes use a warm-up routine one hour before they play.
Besides helping you get loose and limber, a warm-up routine has several psychological advantages.
Psychological Advantages of Warm-Up Routines
- It helps you get focused to play. A warm-up routine helps click in your concentration and put on your game face. It is similar to a runner who stretches before a run or a pilot who performs a checklist to make sure everything is in good order before take-off.
- It is an excellent time to put the concerns of your life behind you and prepare for the game. A warm-up routine is a good transition between your everyday life and baseball. Many people play a sport to distract them from pressures in everyday life such as work or school. Use the warm-up to put these pressures behind you. Once you tie on your baseball shoes and put you cap on, it’s time to think baseball.
- Most players start their warm-up by doing some simple stretches alone or in a team setting. During that time, you want to release the past and start to focus on baseball. You should be doing more than just going through the physical motions of the warm-up. You also want to do the warm-up with intensity and focus—a mental routine of sorts.
- Remember that the warm-up is just a warm-up and not a “practice session.”
- The major goal of warm-ups is to loosen-up your muscles and focus the mind. It’s too late to work on mechanics during the warm-up. Trying to “fix” errors before play can actually hurt your game. You won’t correct the problem in 20 minutes and you certainly won’t be able to ingrain the change in your memory.
The best you can do now is work on your at-bat routine just like it was the real thing during batting practice. The same goes for infield and outfield practice. Make it count, don’t just go through the motions.
Don’t be hard on yourself if you don’t perform well during your warm-up. Some athletes just don’t perform well in warm-ups.
Have confidence that your game will be there in the first inning.
Boost Your Self-Confidence And Focus With Expert Mental Game Coaching!
Master mental game coach Dr. Patrick Cohn can help you overcome your mental game issues with personal coaching.
You can work with Dr. Patrick Cohn himself in Orlando, Florida or via Skype, FaceTime, or telephone.
Call us toll free at 888-742-7225 or contact us for more information about the different coaching programs we offer!
What are our students saying?
“I’m Amazed at the Change in His Mental Game”
“Ty has started nine games this season, and he is 6-0, with a 2.6 ERA. Two weeks ago he pitched a 9-inning shutout, breaking his school’s record with 17 strikeouts. For his efforts he was named NJCAA Division I National Pitcher of the Week. He’s in a real good place mentally. The mental game skills you taught him about mental preparation, eliminating expectation, and staying in the moment have been the keys to his success. The thing I have noticed most is his improved consistency. I have been amazed at the change in his mental game. I should have called you earlier to thank you personally.”
~Randy Sullivan, Ty’s Father
Get The Mental Edge For Baseball and Softball Players!
Do you (or your athletes) lack full confidence in your skills when you step on the field as if your game disappears at game time?
Do you lose composure easily after you make your first error of time game?
Do you feel embarrassed after striking out and carry this with you for longer than one inning?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, check out The Mental Edge For Baseball And Softball Players!
Boost your (or your athletes mental) toughness! Learn 8 mental toughness lessons to help ball players improve confidence, focus and composure.
Download your copy today!
What are mental game customers saying?
“Dr. Cohn has put together a program that has enabled myself and our players to approach the mental game in a systematic way that is easy to use and apply. Our awareness level has greatly increased.”
~Marty Hunter, Head Baseball Coach George Fox University
Get Our Weekly Mental Game Tips!
Learn 6 Costly Mental Game Mistakes Baseball
And Softball Players Make While Batting
Get instant access to a Mental Game of Baseball and Softball FREE report. Discover if you are making one or more of these “costly” mental game errors at the plate!
- How your mind can be your best or worst asset during batting.
- If you are using your mind effectively to get a hit.
- A critical mental error that can erase your confidence at the plate!
- How to prepare your mind using an at-bat routine.
I’ll also notify you when we have other baseball or softball mental game tips to boost your performance! Please enter your first name, primary email, and role in baseball/softball below to instantly receive your 100% FREE mental game report:
© 2016 Peak Performance Sports, LLC | 888-742-7225 | Baseball and Softball Confidence
Mental Game of Baseball Success Stories
“With your help, I have been able to deal with stress and pressure of the game of baseball more efficiently. I have learned what it means to focus on the process to help me keep my focus and disregard negative thoughts and energies. This process focus will keep me from getting my head in the way of my performance, from working against myself. Thanks for your help. I look forward to speaking with you again.”
~Keith Donnell, College Baseball Player.
“I currently play NCAA Division 1 Baseball, and even my coaches have noticed a change in the way that I approach the game; my attitude and confidence at the plate. Thank you for helping in my continuing goal to mental toughness.”
~Tylor Prudhomme, College Baseball Player