How Can You Bring Practice Confidence to Games?
“Why does my confidence disappear when I go from practice to games?”
This is a question I received from many athletes who struggle with having a full tank of confidence in competition.
Why would you struggle with confidence only in competition when you play the same game as practice, but on a different day?
Here are some explanations why you lose confidence in competition:
- You’re more comfortable in your practice routines than in competition.
- You’ve struggled in the past with your performance in competition.
- You think you always choke in competition.
- You become intimidated by the competition.
- You fear failure and tighten up or worry about outcomes.
- You try too hard to be perfect and lose trust.
I call this topic having competitive self-confidence versus practice self-confidence. Perfectionists often struggle with confidence in competition because they are more comfortable in practice.
How can you take your practice confidence to games?
- Let go of the past. Stop hanging on to over generalizations that only hurt your mindset, such as, “I always choke or play poorly in games.”
- You have to remind yourself that the game and your physical skills are still the same; nothing has changed except the ball park you play in.
- True confidence comes from within you based on your experience, belief in your skills, and past success. Do not allow circumstances to dictate your confidence level, such as who you are competing against or the venue.
- You have to understand that confidence is a long-term trait. If you lose confidence when you step onto the playing field or after the first batter of the game, that’s not real confidence.
Tips to Take Confidence to Games:
- Focus on your strengths and talents, not the opposing team’s abilities. It’s about what you have, not what others have.
- Think about the years of practice and play you have, not just your warm up performance.
- Remind yourself that competition is the reward for all your hard work in practice. Trust the work you put in in practice.
- Know what hurts your confidence (doubt, making comparisons to others, high expectations, or being self-critical).
- Address your personal confidence killers from 4 above. Not only do you have to fuel your confidence at game-time, but you also have to overcome your personal confidence killers!
Improve your confidence with my new workbook and CD program for ball players.
Get The Mental Edge For Baseball and Softball Players!
Do you (or your athletes) lack full confidence in your skills when you step on the field as if your game disappears at game time?
Do you lose composure easily after you make your first error of time game?
Do you feel embarrassed after striking out and carry this with you for longer than one inning?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, check out The Mental Edge For Baseball And Softball Players!
Boost your (or your athletes mental) toughness! Learn 8 mental toughness lessons to help ball players improve confidence, focus and composure.
The Mental Edge For Baseball And Softball Players: Mental Toughness Strategies For Ultimate Confidence
Download your copy today!
What are mental game customers saying?
“Dr. Cohn has put together a program that has enabled myself and our players to approach the mental game in a systematic way that is easy to use and apply. Our awareness level has greatly increased.”
~Marty Hunter, Head Baseball Coach George Fox University
Get Our Weekly Mental Game Tips!
Learn 6 Costly Mental Game Mistakes Baseball
And Softball Players Make While Batting
Get instant access to a Mental Game of Baseball and Softball FREE report. Discover if you are making one or more of these “costly” mental game errors at the plate!
- How your mind can be your best or worst asset during batting.
- If you are using your mind effectively to get a hit.
- A critical mental error that can erase your confidence at the plate!
- How to prepare your mind using an at-bat routine.
I’ll also notify you when we have other baseball or softball mental game tips to boost your performance! Please enter your first name, primary email, and role in baseball/softball below to instantly receive your 100% FREE mental game report:
© 2016 Peak Performance Sports, LLC | 888-742-7225 | Baseball and Softball Confidence
Mental Game of Baseball Success Stories
“With your help, I have been able to deal with stress and pressure of the game of baseball more efficiently. I have learned what it means to focus on the process to help me keep my focus and disregard negative thoughts and energies. This process focus will keep me from getting my head in the way of my performance, from working against myself. Thanks for your help. I look forward to speaking with you again.”
~Keith Donnell, College Baseball Player.
“I currently play NCAA Division 1 Baseball, and even my coaches have noticed a change in the way that I approach the game; my attitude and confidence at the plate. Thank you for helping in my continuing goal to mental toughness.”
~Tylor Prudhomme, College Baseball Player
Boost Your Self-Confidence And Focus With Expert Mental Game Coaching!
Master mental game coach Dr. Patrick Cohn can help you overcome your mental game issues with personal coaching.
You can work with Dr. Patrick Cohn himself in Orlando, Florida or via Skype, FaceTime, or telephone. Call us toll free at 888-742-7225 or contact us for more information about the different coaching programs we offer!
What are our mental coaching students, parents and coaches saying?
“Thank you very much for taking the time to speak with our team. It was greatly appreciated and really helped a lot. I found myself implementing your teachings in our first practice right after you left. I really enjoyed the way you implemented already known ideas, but gave us a different way of viewing it. Thank you.”
~Amber Prosser, Clark College Softball
Leave a Reply